Thursday, September 13, 2012

Ramen Noodles Chicken Flavored Pride

Ramen Noodles Chicken flavored Pride

I used to love ramen noodles! I still kind of love Ramen noodles. You put them in hot water for a few minutes, and you add the powder and you have yourself some awesome chicken (flavored) soup. But alas I am older now and the days of backpacking, living on pennies a week, and late night exam cram sessions are over (at least for a little while).
So, I caught myself today looking through our sparse cupboards for something to eat for lunch. I found an old stack of ramen noodles packed away behind a box of really out-dated dates (sorry some puns just happen). And so I cooked them. As the water was boiling I said to myself, "self, aren't you past eating Ramen Noodles?" it was a moment of pride before I put the noodles in the water. Is this the season of life that I should be eating a few packs of year old Ramen Noodles? This is where the deceitfulness of pride comes in. It lulls you into thinking you should grow out of certain things because you are better than that. Pride says you are better than that when in truth we are not better than anything or anyone In this life. It is written about many times and many places in the Bible, but never more eloquently by Paul in Philippians...
"Don’t be selfish; don’t try to impress others. Be humble, thinking of others as better than yourselves. Don’t look out only for your own interests, but take an interest in others, too. You must have the same attitude that Christ Jesus had. Though he was God, he did not think of equality with God as something to cling to. Instead, he gave up his divine privileges; he took the humble position of a slave and was born as a human being. When he appeared in human form, he humbled himself in obedience to God and died a criminal’s death on a cross." (Philippians 2:3-8 NLT)
Here is the tough balance not thinking I am better than Ramen Noodles, and also looking out for your own interests as Paul says here. I must confess, I lean almost always ever to the wrong extreme of self love and preservation, pride and arrogance. God would you help me/us to lean more toward the example of Christ. Help us follow Christ example in all things as it says "You must have the same attitude that Christ Jesus had." Not try to have, or strive, but "you must". Lord I am so sorry when I think I am better than that thing or person. If you are willing you could pray with me this very dangerous prayer of humility. It goes like this..."Jesus, please humble me". But be ready the dangerous part is that he will answer that prayer, so be ready to be humbled, and maybe I should be ready to eat Ramen Noodles for a while longer. Who's with me?

No comments: